By Stephen Prothero
Stephen Prothero synthesizes a wide range of formerly untapped resource fabric, together with newspapers, client publications, mortician alternate journals, and renowned magazines resembling Reader's Digest to supply this primary old research of cremation within the usa. He vividly describes many noteworthy events—from the much-criticized first American cremation in 1876 to the loss of life and cremation of Jerry Garcia within the past due 20th century. From the Gilded Age to the revolutionary period to the infant boomers of this present day, this e-book takes us on a travel via American tradition and strains our altering attitudes towards loss of life, faith, public healthiness, the physique, and the environment.
Read Online or Download Purified by Fire: A History of Cremation in America PDF
Similar customs & traditions books
Scholars suffering to discover details at the glossy lives of these residing in Eurasia needn't glance any farther! Written for prime tuition and undergraduate scholars, tradition and Customs of the Caucasus fills a big void on library cabinets. This particular reference paintings explores modern existence in 3 former Soviet Union republics: Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia.
Only one hundred years in the past, american citizens virtually universally condemned cremation. this day, approximately one-quarter of usa citizens decide to be cremated. The perform has received vast reputation as a funeral ceremony, in either our inner most and public lives, because the cremations of icons corresponding to John Lennon and John F. Kennedy Jr.
In "One airplane price ticket From Normal," Pam Morton describes her family's circulation from their satisfying, understood Midwestern lifestyles to a white-knuckled, faith-leaping trip into the center East. they fight to discover their means as a "minority every thing" dwelling and serving one of the appealing humans alongside the Nile River.
L. a. Sardaigne nourrit ces dernières années un mouvement artistique et littéraire sans pareil. Nombreux sont les écrivains et réalisateurs qui, en les métissant, puisent dans les « traditions » insulaires. Un détail, qui se manifeste par un mot, un terme de parenté, éveille l'intérêt. D'origine catalane, ce mot sarde, dont los angeles prononciation française évoque le vagissement du bébé, se rattache à l'idéologie du sang.
- Agadá: dinâmica da civilização africano-brasileira (Portuguese Edition)
- How Traditions Live and Die (Foundations of Human Interaction)
- Our Daily Bread: German Village Life, 1500-1850
- Manuale distruzione: Dall'antichità a giovedi scorso (Italian Edition)
- Arctic Adaptations: Native Whalers and Reindeer Herders of Northern Eurasia: Native Whalers and Reindeer Herders of Northern Eurasia. Expanded English Ed (Arctic Visions Series)
- Archaeologies of Remembrance: Death and Memory in Past Societies
Extra resources for Purified by Fire: A History of Cremation in America
Purified by Fire: A History of Cremation in America by Stephen Prothero
- Download e-book for kindle: Reel Men at War: Masculinity and the American War Film by Ralph Donald,Karen MacDonald
- Harry Margalit's Energy, Cities and Sustainability: An historical approach PDF