By Susan B. Boyd,Dorothy E. Chunn,Fiona Kelly,Wanda Wiegers
Since the tip of the second one global battle, expanding numbers of ladies have made up our minds to develop into moms with out proceeding the organic father or a accomplice to take part in parenting. Many conceive through donor insemination or undertake; others develop into pregnant after a short sexual dating and judge to mother or father alone.
Using a feminist socio-legal framework, Autonomous Motherhood? probes primary assumptions in the legislations concerning the nature of family members and parenting. Drawing on a number empirical proof, together with legislative historical past, case reports, and interviews with unmarried moms, the authors finish that whereas ladies may perhaps now have the commercial and social freedom to father or mother by myself, they have to nonetheless negotiate a socio-legal framework that means their selection is going opposed to the pursuits of society, fatherhood, and children.
Read Online or Download Autonomous Motherhood?: A Socio-Legal Study of Choice and Constraint PDF
Similar gender studies books
Bare Politics: Nudity, Political motion, and the Rhetoric of the physique through Brett Lunceford, examines the rhetorical strength of the unclothed physique because it pertains to protest and political motion. This examine explores what the disrobed physique communicates, and the way others are invited to make experience of this demonstrate.
Till the Eighties, a typical narrative approximately ladies in China were one among victimization: ladies had dutifully persisted a patriarchal civilization for hundreds of thousands of years, dwelling cloistered, uneducated lives become independent from the bigger social and cultural international, until eventually they have been liberated via political upheavals within the 20th century.
The demanding situations that girls face as political applicants could be compounded by way of race. in terms of Latinas, stereotypes in addition to nationwide media assurance and labeling of “Latino” concerns in all probability creates an electoral burden for Latina applicants on the neighborhood, nation, and nationwide point. The intersection of race and gender is complex and sometimes creates extra questions than it solutions.
This ebook examines the operating lives, retirement plans, and previous age reviews of 3 generations of homosexual males born 1924–86. It attracts on information gathered from interviews with eighty two males in Australia, England, New Zealand, and united states. the 1st half the e-book concentrates at the men’s operating lives, whereas the second one 1/2 the booklet explores the interviewees’ issues approximately previous age and retirement.
- The Complexities of Police Corruption: Gender, Identity, and Misconduct (Issues in Crime and Justice)
- Women Educators, Leaders and Activists: Educational Lives and Networks 1900-1960
- Gender in Applied Communication Contexts
- Women Soldiers and Citizenship in Israel: Gendered Encounters with the State
- Kinship to Kingship: Gender Hierarchy and State Formation in the Tongan Islands (Texas Press Sourcebooks in Anthropology)
- Diversity Limited: Inklusion, Exklusion und Grenzziehungen mittels Praktiken des Diversity Management (Gesundheitsförderung - Rehabilitation - Teilhabe) (German Edition)
Extra info for Autonomous Motherhood?: A Socio-Legal Study of Choice and Constraint
Autonomous Motherhood?: A Socio-Legal Study of Choice and Constraint by Susan B. Boyd,Dorothy E. Chunn,Fiona Kelly,Wanda Wiegers
- Download e-book for kindle: Contemporary Famine Analysis (SpringerBriefs in Political by Olivier Rubin
- Christoph Rosenthal's Creativity conquers the marketplace: The origins of PDF